Thursday, March 26, 2009

Springston RFC and first test

So some bad news and some goods news. Bad news is that I got cut from the Lincoln University side, good news I have already found a new team to play for. I am now a proud member of Springston Rugby Football Club which plays in the Country competition. After I and a couple other guys got cut we were all left with the prospect of not playing or joining a country side. Waihora RFC was already full so we were told about Springston and their need for some back players. On Thursday I went to their practice and I think I have found a team I can enjoy and learn some good rugby. Springston is a real community team as I showed up early and watched all the kids from U-10 to U-18 train on the fields. After meeting the coach and a couple of guys, who were glad to hear I was a back, practice started by putting up the goal posts. Welcome to country rugby. After that we were led through fitness by an old farmer who was definitely more agile and flexible than any of us. We then went through practice and afterwards if you wanted you could go get a beer and a meat pie at the clubhouse. All the guys I met seem like very down to earth farmer types who play and train hard but also want to have a good time. What attracts me most of all is that I will get a lot of game time since that is probably the only and best way to improve. Fortunately there was no game this weekend so I will be able to travel with everyone else to Kaikoura to celebrate Alex's birthday and enjoy a weekend outside of Christchurch.
First Test: We had to answer 2 out of the possible 3 questions and write an essay for each answer. The test was alright I guess, don't really have anything to judge it on. The room was set out like a stereotypical english classroom test taking class and run by three very stereotypical old school english test proctors, very grouchy and unsmiling.
Otherwise not much else is happening.
Let me know how you all are,
Cheers,
Benja

1 comment:

  1. Jeg synes faktisk det lyder rigtig godt med det rugbyhold, hvor du kan moede nogle lokale mennesker - det er i sig selv en fantastisk chance. Held og lykke me4d det hele. Glaeder mig til billeder fra jeres tur.
    1000 kys, Mor

    ReplyDelete