Tuesday, February 17, 2009

1st Rugby Practice

I have just gotten back from my first rugby practice. Today was the first practice for Lincoln University Rugby Football Club and it was pure conditioning. Until today I liked to think that I was pretty fit, now I know I have a long way to go before I can match them. There were probably 50 people at the practice and we were split into 2 groups of approximately 25 where you were also paired with someone else. Group A had to run around a 400 meter track for 2 minutes while Group B did exercises on the side. The exercises consisted of:
1. flipping a giant tire
2. pulling a weighted sled on a long rope, so pull the sled until it reaches you and then your partner does it.
3. boxing a rucking pad
4. carrying a body bag 10 metres and then back, then your partner does it.
5. doing shoulder presses with 20 kg plate
6. swinging from your shoulder to opposite hip with 20 kg plate
7. push-ups
8. lunges
9. wheel barrow
10. fire man lift

you and your partner would do each exercise for 1 minute and then switch to running around the track. So you would complete 2 exercises and then run for 2 minutes and then go back to the circuit. the practice took about an hour, but by the end I was exhausted. I think I will probably end up playing with the Colts side (U-21) but even they have their own forward and backs coach. The guys I met all seem really cool and they are also insanely fit. After seeing them it is hard to imagine how strong and fast the All-Blacks and other professional rugby players are. Anyway right now it seems like this is going to be an amazing experience and I cannot wait to start improving my fitness and game skills.

3 comments:

  1. damn. i would have dropped dead from a heart attack. haha. you are going to be right fit when you get back! love you! miss you! xo

    Jess

    (p.s. feel free to distribute my picture to the whole rugby team, as we both know what my great weakness is...haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Det lyder velnok som en ordentlig omgang, men rigtig dejligt for dig. Jeg kunne ikke lade være med at grine lidt over, at dine første kommentarer er om rugby! I et svagt øjeblik kunne man måske tro, at det var en af hovedårsagerne til at du tog til NZ. Nyd det nu, min dreng - ingen tvivl om at du får en rigtig dejlig tid - og også lidt sjovt at du får en lille tidsrejse tilbage til halvfjerdserne - efter min mening en fin periode. Glæder mig til at høre mere. 1000 kys, Mor

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahaha i cannot imagine you as not fit. anyway, i am so glad you are there and already so into the place. I FULLY PLAN TO VISIT NZ SO YOU BETTER BE READY FOR MEEEE :)

    ReplyDelete