Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First Day

Today was my first day. I arrived at 2 am at Lincoln, unpacked and attempted to sleep till 6 before waking up and making myself some tea and instant noodles. At around 8 other people slowly woke up and I got to meet them. Almost everyone in my dorm is on an exchange program, the majority from the USA but I also met some people from France, Norway, and Germany. The campus is really small and picturesque, it is really easy to navigate. Spent the day registering, meeting people, and going to meetings. An interesting observation is that the local fashion is rugby shorts, polos with the collars popped and sporting a mullet. Not really sure how that all got into fashion but maybe it is because they are so far away from the world and are stuck in the 70s. The people in the dorm are really cool and friendly, right now we are all getting ready to head down to the Grouse, a bar in Lincoln Town. Other interesting news is that I found out that there is a rugby team for the Uni and the first trial is tomorrow and is going to consist of conditioning. This is my chance to prove how Cornell rugby stands up to the Kiwi's...we'll see how I do. The rugby field is absolutely amazing, I have never seen such short perfect grass, it looks almost fake.
The dorms are interestingly built, they are 3 floors high with two suites consisting of 6 rooms on either side. All the rooms are singles, however the walls seem to be very thin.
New Zealand also seems like a very quiet country. I have never seen such a quiet move in day, you almost could think that no one had really arrived. Everywhere you go though it seems very laid back and quiet. It would be easy to say that New Zealand is its own little bubble.

1 comment:

  1. Benja!please tell me you're coming back with the same style.Mullet and a popped collar sound perfect on you!
    and dude i read the conditioning thing for rugby too and i.would.die...especially now that i havent even trained in like a week cause of stupid mock exams.
    we miss you here,volta!
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete